A note to potential applicants from countries outside of Canada

Please understand that this program is intended for Canadians. You're welcome to apply, but some farmers might be hesitant to accept you out of concern that you will not be able to cross the border. SOIL's policy on foreign applicants is below. Please read it before applying.

Do I need to be a Canadian citizen to apply?

The program is set up for Canadian residents and people from other countries who have working visas. We are beginning to see people from the United States have difficulty getting across the border when they describe the SOIL program to immigration officials. SOIL, and listed SOIL farms, do not provide additional help with obtaining a visa. Stipends are not really considered wages or employment, however any information found on the following web sites supersedes any information we may provide. There is a bit of information from two pages on the Canadian Government web site which you should check for more details http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english//study/institutions/work-volunteer.asp

To visit Canada you must be healthy, must respect Canadian laws, will need a valid passport, proof of who you are or other travel documents, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) if you are from a countries listed on the web site. Canada does not pay for hospital or medical services for visitors. Make sure you have health insurance to pay your medical costs before you leave for Canada.

SOIL is a simple directory that helps aspiring apprentices connect with host farmers. This is not a formal education program and we do not work with academic institutions.